Sunday, April 26, 2009

Kolob Canyon


When we got "the word," I immediately got an image of what I wanted to do and how to do it. I wanted to make stack n slash blocks, or what Sylvia calls EZ Crazy, but decided to sew two fabrics together with curved piecing before I started slashing and rearranging. When I went to my fabric stash to pull fabrics from my orange bin, I found leftover strata from my Beach Party Strips and Curves class that I took from Louisa Smith at Empty Spools last spring. The colors were perfect, so I paired them up with batiks. I had some pictures of what they looked like before I started slashing, but they got lost in the camera or something. I added some deserty green browns for the canyon floor, and a few bits of blue because I love the sosuthern Utah combination of water and desert. The blocks ended up being quite small, so the curved piecing doesn't show up as much as I had envisioned. So I curved the outside edges of the quilt instead. And then added some blooming desert plants.


1 comment:

  1. Great colors Sandy! It's too bad the curves don't show up even more. What a fun design.

    ReplyDelete